Samstag, 6. Oktober 2018

Couldn't refresh

I was scrolling down my instagram feed, when an error showed up- "Couldnt refresh".
And as I was wondering what was wrong with my internet again, I suddenly found myself pausing.
"Couldn't refresh", it said.
And I heard Holy Spirit's quiet voice in my heart: "Couldn't refresh".
Last week, I was translating a DTS week and we were practicing what it means to live with Holy Spirit in our every day life. We were encouraging each other by listening to what he had to say, we ventured into new ways of interacting with him, activated our spirits.
After my DTS- this intense 5 months time carved out solely to focus on my relationship with God- I had gotten somewhat back into the old routine of neglecting spending time with him.
But whereas before my DTS my frustration about that habit had a lot to do with trying to "accomplish" living life as a Christian, striving to make it happen and constantly failing at it, now I've found myself simply not being able to sustain the life I needed without time spent with God.

After a week of being back to a scheduled experience, teaching, and interaction, I felt refreshed, whereas the the freedom of post-DTS life gave me too much opportunity to revisit old habits of distracting myself with my phone and computer and wasting time online.

But it couldn't refresh.

There's zero life flowing from it, because real life- rivers of it- (our DTS theme from Ezekiel 47) flows from the presence of God.
His presence is refreshing, healing.
It grows me.
It nourishes and bears fruit.
It cleanses from bitterness and the residual waste one tends to collect from living on this planet.


Instagram never does that...
Scrolling down Facebook never does that...
Messaging friends rarely even contributes to that...

"Where would we go?!" Jesus' disciples said. "Only you have the words of eternal life."
"We know what's out there and it couldn't refresh!"

I need fresh water every single day.
The stuff that doesn't leave me thirsty.
Nothing else could refresh me.
I want the fullness, the real deal.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen